Thursday, September 16, 2010

Blog #6




I have always had an interest in music, but not the overly played rap or rock songs you hear on the radio. I'm more interested in the older genres, like Elvis Presley. I was 12 years old when I started listening to Elvis and I loved every bit of him from his voice to gyrating hips. But I soon learned that a man so influential wasn't just born with such talents. Elvis was born into a non wealthy, working class, family in 1935 living in a small house that his father and uncle built. At the age of ten Elvis performed in a youth talent show winning fifth place. Soon after, he gets his first guitar and starts his career. It truly amazes me that you can literally go from rags to riches all you have to do is put your heart and soul into what you love doing.

Elvis Presley started his major career in 1954 with the legendary Sun Records label in Memphis, Tennessee and just one year later he released his first single, Heartbreak Hotel, making him an international sensation. Influenced by Southern Gospel Quartets he was known to go to the Quartet Conventions and all night singings in Memphis and was also greatly influenced by the R&B music he absorbed on historic Beale Street as a Memphis teenager. Being able to take all his favorite music and create his own its truly amazing. He took everything he learned from singing gospel music and eventually earned the title of The King of Rock 'n' Roll. He is the main part of all the rock 'n' roll music we have today which will influence any future artist that decides to follow in the footsteps of The King.

I feel that I can relate to Elvis because I don't need much motivation to get something done. Once I set my mind to it I know that it is possible. I also feel that I can make something out of nothing. Elvis grew up with a family that didn't have much money but that never stopped him. He found something that really inspired him and decided to make that his career and it worked for him. He is now the best selling solo artist in the United States. I can only hope to affect the U.S. half as much as he did.

In 2007 I had the privilege of going to Graceland in Memphis, Tennessee, the home of Elvis to see where his talent originated. We happened to visit during Elvis week so everyone was dressed as Elvis showing that people are still worshiping The King to this very day. He is a true legend. At one point we got to venture inside of The King's home to see all of his awards and prize possessions. It was the most unique experience I have ever had. Being able to see every one of the records he had was incredible and made everything so much more real. I even was able to see his grave.

Unfortunately not all icons are happy at the end of their lives. I learned that Elvis started hanging out with the wrong crowd and got into the drugs and bad habits. He got a divorce which took a toll on his mental health. Twice during that year he overdosed on a series of drugs, used to treat his depression, landing him stuck in a coma for three days. He "felt that by getting drugs from a doctor, he wasn't the common everyday junkie getting something off the street." After his comeback he continued to stage more live shows and in 1974 scheduled a tour and continued on with his life until August 16th, 1977 where he was found dead in the bathroom from an overdose of several drugs. Even though Elvis was living the American dream we was still sucked into the not so good part of being famous and if he never got into any of that he'd have a chance at still being alive today. But how would that affect his fame at this point in time. Would he be just as loved and honored or was it his death that made him the legend he is today?

No comments:

Post a Comment