Thursday, October 28, 2010

Blog #17

The debate talking about if health care is too expensive or not relates to my topic of cancer treatment very easily. As I mentioned in my previous blog, if you don't have health insurance then you have to pay out of pocket and eventually sell your belongings until you are so poor that you qualify for Medicaid, known as Medical in California. This business assists in paying for your, in this case, treatment. However, if you have health insurance then that company will usually make you pay a certain amount and they will cover the rest. Some companies have a limit on how much they will pay for you and once you reach that limit they will no longer cover you and you would have to pay out of pocket but a new law in the health care reform says that health insurance companies can no longer put a limit on how much they will pay for you. That will take affect in 2014.

Depending on what health care company you go with and how much money you make health care can either extremely expensive to some but reasonable to others. I personally don't think I have an opinion on if it's too expensive or not because, frankly, I am not paying for it. I feel if I was paying the bills in the house I would be able to have an opinion on this but just by reading the articles given, I was not able to decide. Through reading the articles, there were so many statistics thrown at me like, "the average American household's health-care spending, including the portion of its taxes that pays for Medicare and Medicaid, will go from 23 percent to 41 percent of average household income." and "Let’s not forget that the existing Medicare system is roughly $80 trillion in the hole." and "According to the U.S. Statistical Abstract, government spending on health care in the U.S was $2,168 per person in 2001" that I lost count of everything and felt overwhelmed. In the end, I still haven't formed an opinion on if it is too expensive or not but I'm sure I will when I get older and start paying for things.

No comments:

Post a Comment