Thursday, April 14, 2011

Semester 2 Blog #9



Above is a page of an antisemitic coloring book that would have been distributed to children. It shows a portrait of a Jew drawn by the German caricaturist known as Fips. In the upper left corner there is a logo known as the Der Stürmer logo showing a Star of David over a caricature of a Jewish face. Under the star there is a caption that reads: "Without a solution to the Jewish question, there will be no salvation for mankind"

When I first saw this I was a little shocked. Not because of the image itself but because this was a children's coloring book. It amazes me that they think that they can corrupt a child into thinking horrible things by giving them a coloring book full of antisemitic drawings.




"A truck load of bodies of prisoners of the Nazis, in the Buchenwald concentration camp at Weimar, Germany. The bodies were about to be disposed of by burning when the camp was captured by troops of the 3rd U.S. Army." Pfc. W. Chichersky, April 14, 1945

To me, any picture with a pile of dead bodies is striking. I could only imagine what it was like for the photographer. There isn't much to say about this photo. It's very sad and eye opening about what happened during the Holocaust and that's about all I could say about this picture.





J. Howard Miller's "We Can Do It!" image is commonly referred to as Rosie the Riveter. She is a cultural icon of the United States, representing the American women who worked in factories during World War II. In 1942, Pittsburgh artist J. Howard Miller was hired by the Westinghouse Company’s War Production Coordinating Committee to create a series of posters for the war effort.

I chose this image because I have seen it a lot in my life and I never knew that it was a WWII picture. I have always really liked this picture because of how strong it looks but now that I know the history of it I can like it and appreciate it even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment